Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Let it Shine

So many things come to mind when I think of the word darkness.  I think of walking into the woods when there was no moon and it was so dark that I couldn’t see the ground where I was putting my foot next. I can remember standing in my yard after a hurricane passed over, no electricity for miles, and I couldn’t see my car in the driveway. This kind of darkness brings fear and anxiety. Fear because you cannot see what could possibly hurt you or anxiety not knowing what lies around the corner.


I can also remember a different kind of darkness, one that hits you inside.  Darkness can move into our lives through sadness, anxiety, anger, and even stress. The internal darkness is a place where we feel some of the same things as physical darkness.  Fear not knowing what, or who, could hurt you next in life. Sadness, from grief, that has left uncertainty and loneliness. Anxiety because you feel you have no control. Anger because of what someone has said or done to you. And stress because you cannot see an end to your current situation.  


The opposite of darkness is light.  Some definitions of darkness say that it is an absence of light. Recently, we installed new lighting in the parking lot of the office building where I work, and it is amazing some of the responses we received. Comments like, “it’s so bright it’s like a stadium”, “I feel so much safer knowing I can see everything around me”.  Having the ability to see clearly brings calmness and a sense of security.


1 John 1:5-10 gives insight about light for life. In verse 5 it says that God is light. As light, God reveals truth about life, nothing can be hidden, all is revealed, nothing is unseen. God’s light reveals the truth that His love for us is greater than the hurt that comes from others. God’s light reveals the truth that He never leaves us and comforts us when we walk through the valley of the shadow of death. (Psalm 23:4) God’s light reveals the truth that the purpose of the Lord will stand (Proverbs 19:21) when the life around us feels out of control. And God’s light will reveal the truth of people’s actions toward us and that He knows the hurt in our heart.


God’s light also reveals something deeper in our heart. Often our fear is because we do not trust God with what is going on in our life. We feel we can handle things on our own without God’s help, which is pride, or we have yet to go before God and earnestly seek His direction for the next step in life.


Does His light reveal that the anxiety and stress is coming from a life not surrendered to His will and purpose? Has a deep desire to be satisfied with the things of this world left no room for the peace and contentment that only God can give?


As God’s light reveals these areas of life it is a blessing to know that when I find myself in a place where I have allowed darkness into my life that I can go to God through the blood of Jesus Christ.  v.9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. God deeply desires for us to have fellowship with Him and with one another as fellow believers. He wants us to live in truth not in darkness. Truth that tells us not to be deceived by the lies of our enemy the devil.


What do you need to confess to God today? Is it pride? Is it a lack of trust in God? Is it a lack of satisfaction?


What do you need to ask God for today? Direction? Contentment? Peace?


Praise Him for His light that reveals truth and promises to give us hope and peace.

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff John Boy. I appreciate it. You still got it! ❤️

    ReplyDelete